Kalaja e Lezhes

Rruga Varosh, Lezhë 4501, Albania

Business Description:

The castle rises atop a hill of 186 meters high, east of the city. The castle has Illyrian origins. In 1440 it underwent a reconstruction by the Venetians, and in 1522 after the Ottoman conquest was also rebuilt by them. Here you can see traces of Illyrian, Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman architecture.

The most interesting objects to visit are ruins of Ottoman buildings within the castle, mosque, towers on the southeast wall with a Roman arch and Illyrian towers on the southern wall. Lezha Castle is a cultural monument. From it is seen a beautiful view of the Lezha and Adriatic Sea.

The fortress built on the hill has a strategic position that controls the Drin Valley to the Bay of St. John in the Adriatic Sea.

It attests to the traces of an ancient prehistoric civilization that in the IV century BC. With the Roman invasion Lezha will be administered under the province of Prevelitan.

In the nineteenth century. VI e.s. (year 592) Lezha was an episcopal center with bishop John, In 1107 she was under the owner Aleks Komneni. In 1153 at the helm of Empire was Emperor Nonali.

With the establishment of the state of Arbr in the 13th century, Prince Dhimitri in 1208-1215 made an agreement for trade exchanges with the republic of Ragusa. In 1393 it fell under the sovereignty of the Venetian Republic, which again under its rule after the death of Skanderbeg in 1468. During the creation of the state of Arbr, the city of Lezha has played an important religious role not only as an episcopal center but also for time events.
• Creation for the first time of the “Franciscan Order” by Saint Francis.

• The St. Clement Church of the fourteenth century is an important monumental monument.

• Place where Assembly of Lezha was convened 1444 under the leadership of Gjergj Kastriot Skanderbeg.

The fortress of the ancient city of Lezha is surrounded by walls of different periods that follow from antiquity IV century BC, with the name of the ancient city of Lis.

These are powerful walls with large stone blocks. The first reconstruction of the castle dates back to the nineteenth century. I p.

Later, in the nineteenth century. XI-XII in the part of the city’s acropolis is built the medieval fortress of Lezha – Elission with small carved stones and stucco. This fortress was reinforced to cope with the invasions of the first Slavic states coming from the north.

In the construction of the castle has helped the geographical position of the hill (planimetry represents oval shaped and east-west direction.)

Walls are clearly distinguished. In the castle there are three gates, the first two are built in the places where the gates of the ancient city of Levi were built.

As a result of the 1979 earthquake, the castle had some serious injuries.


Other Information: